How we support SEND at Derby Pride Academy
How we support SEND students at Derby Pride Academy
Derby Pride Academy strives to educate all of its students within an environment where the traditions of learning, respect and community are promoted.
Derby Pride Academy is an inclusive alternative provision establishment where diversity is celebrated.
Please click to see the DPA-SEN Policy
There are four areas of additional need. These are:
- communication and interaction
- cognition and learning
- social, emotional and mental health difficulties
- sensory and/or physical needs.
Derby Pride Academy recognises that the students may need support in more than one of these areas.
Where a students is identified as having SEND, the academy will seek to remove barriers to learning and put SEND provision in place.
In Class Support
Our team of Behaviour and Learning Practitioners support identified students in timetabled lessons under the guidance of the teacher. This could include 1:1 support or in small groups.
When students who need additional support in literacy are identified, they receive 1:1 extraction, focusing on the key skills.
This could be for ASD, reading, reading comprehension, spelling, handwriting, numeracy, social skills. These could be delivered by a teacher or BLP. External interventions are also offered where this has been identified through referrals to multi-agencies.
Adaptations to the curriculum or learning environment may be made to remove barriers to learning.
Things such as:
- Sitting at the front of the classroom;
- Using enlarged resources;
- Alternative timetables;
- Dyslexia screening;
- Use of colour overlays;
- Visual timetable provided;
- Having someone scribe student’s work;
- Access Arrangement for exams/controlled assessments
There are many more that may be put in place depending on the individual student’s needs.
For some students with the most complex needs, we can provide access to an alternative timetable and some vocational options.
Please click to see our SEN Information Report
Please click to see our SEN Information COVID19 Report addendum
Who are the best people to talk to at Derby Pride Academy ?
The class teacher has responsibility for:
- checking on the progress of your child;
- identifying, planning and delivering a differentiated curriculum for your child in class as required;
- personalised teaching and learning for your child;
- ensuring that the academy’s SEND Policy is followed.
If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should talk to us. In the first instance, speak to your child’s Behaviour and Learning Practitioner. You can also make an appointment to speak to the SENCo Dr Bruce by phone or email
Tel: 01332 349 616