The Ofsted inspection carried out in the last week of April 2014 found Derby Pride Academy to be an outstanding school.
John Rutherford HMI led the inspection which concluded that “In the short time that students attend the academy, their academic achievement improves from poor to outstanding” The report went on to say,
“The quality of teaching, care and guidance for the students is exceptional. It is very well matched to their individual needs.”
The key findings summarised in the report were:
- In the short time that students attend the academy, their academic achievement improves from poor to outstanding.
- Students gain qualifications and work-related skills that prepare them well for the future. Last year, all students who left the academy went into education, employment or training.
- Students make very rapid progress in improving their behaviour. Many students are re-integrated into their mainstream (commissioning) school after one or two terms in the academy.
- The quality of teaching, care and guidance for the students is exceptional. It is very well matched to their individual needs.
- Students enjoy coming to the academy and are keen to learn. Most try very hard in lessons.
- Attendance is below the average for all schools but improving rapidly.
- There is very little disruption to lessons or to the academy’s calm atmosphere as there is little poor behaviour.
- Relationships amongst students and between students and staff are excellent.
- The safety of students is checked frequently and thoroughly. Action is taken immediately if there is any concern.
- Partnership with parents is outstanding. The academy keeps them fully up-to-date on the progress of their children and how they can best provide support.
- A well-planned, stimulating curriculum meets both the academic and work-related ambitions of the students.
- The academy’s partner organisations, especially a local championship league football club, contribute significantly to a curriculum that highly motivates the students.
- The driving force for the academy’s success is the shared vision of the leadership team, governors and key partners who, together, want to improve the life chances of the city’s most challenging young people.
To view the full report click here